Life Teen News
- Below is the list of 213 parishes that have pledged as of Dec. 29, 2010. The final total of funds received was slightly over $198,000.
- In addition Raskob Charitable Foundation has awarded Life Teen a grant of $19,000 to be used to add to the already amazing 'Thirst for Change' drive. Thanks to Courtney Plummer (W.A.T.E.R. intern summer of 2010), Bob Maher - board member, Jan Kline - board member, Sue Niquette - CPA, and Kori Baker and Kathleen Maxwell from Life Teen for all the work in supplying the data needed for the grant application. Congratulations and thank you. This brougt the total amount raised to a little over $217,000.!
- Thanks to all the Life Teen Leadership for this year.
Files and Downloads
Sponsor A Borehole
Life Teen and W.A.T.E.R. After September 26
W.A.T.E.R. is grateful to have been selected as Life Teen’s first international cause. Our hope is that this is the start of a long term relationship with your parish as well. Between 2005 and 2009, W.A.T.E.R. raised approximately 80% of its money via individual parishes like yours. This was accomplished by those parishes doing fund raising projects, mainly at the end of the year. Drilling season in West Africa begins in December and runs through May, so funds you raise at the end of the year feed into next year’s implementations. The money you raise at then end of 2010 could provide a village with water in 2011. Following the Sept. 26 collection, we hope that your parish will do a year end event in 2010. We are counting on the youth at your parish to make this happen.
Below are examples of themes which can help raise money (combine ideas if you like):
- Sponsor a borehole – Make your target $12,000 and the borehole will be named after your parish. Parishes have sent people to Africa the following year to dedicate the boreholes. Every year W.A.T.E.R. has a 5-10 people who come to Africa during the July / August timeframe.
- Turn Wine into W.A.T.E.R. – A wine tasting party intended to attract parents at which each youth brings a parent (or other adult). Note: If such an event is sponsored at a parishioner’s house, the costs are tax deductable.
- Make a donation in Lieu of a Christmas gift – Let someone know you are giving up your gift if they make a donation. Hold a gathering in December at your church, collect the money and honor both the donors and the person giving up the gift. Note: Donations are tax deductable but Christmas gifts are not. So the donation costs the donor less than your Christmas gift.
We want to be partners for many years to come with your parish. W.A.T.E.R. has no paid employees, this means that 90% of donations can arrive directly in the villages in Africa. But it also means that we need your volunteer help to raise money. We are all volunteers, so we are all in this together.
Please note the following with regard to your event:
- Send an e-mail to Jim Niquette at JNiquette@aol.com to let us know you intend to have an event and when. Put “Life Teen Event” in the subject line and then tell us more.
- When you hold the event, make checks payable to W.A.T.E.R.. Collect them and mail them to 212 Xanadu, #507, Wisconsin Dells, WI, 53965
- Make sure the donor’s check has their name and address on it, so they can receive the proper tax deduction. If people give cash and want the deduction, please include a listing which includes their name, address and e-mail.
- We want this to be a long term relationship. So get your younger members and Edge members involved so they can continue in 2011 and beyond. There are 10,000,000 people in Ghana alone without access to clean W.A.T.E.R. We have a lot of work to do.
Plan your event today! God bless us all.
Download "Life Teen and W.A.T.E.R. After September 26" (PDF)
Life Teen / W.A.T.E.R. Funds Transmission Form (PDF)
Make a Donation to the Life Teen Project
Parishes participating in the "Give It Away Now" event
See the list of parishes which have reported donations to us. Thank you all for your contributions!